Disposal of wastes containing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in an environmentally safe manner within the framework of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (GEF SGP)
JSC ”Minsk Automobile Plant” , Minsk, Minsk region
First ever project in Belarus on hazardous waste management within the framework of the Stockholm Convention.
Above project marked the beginning of the disposal of wastes containing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in the Republic of Belarus, in practice implementing the provisions of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, and the National Plan of implementation of commitments taken by the Republic of Belarus under the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants for the period 2007-2010 and for the period up to 2028 approved by Presidential Decree of June 12, 2007 № 271.
- ● Identify and analyze waste containing polychlorinated biphenyls;
- ● Transport of equipment, materials and waste containing polychlorinated biphenyls;
- ● Disposal of wastes containing polychlorinated biphenyls in an environmentally sound manner at the specialized facility for the disposal of hazardous waste.
In the JSC “Minsk Automobile Plant” inventory was carried out:
● storage conditions of the PCB - containing waste (accommodation) for destruction (warehouse ETC)
● the possibility of loading vehicles (entrance/departure)
● availability of load-lifting equipment
● match the type and amount of equipment and materials declared in the statement of PCBs
● full-scale measurement of dimensions of the equipment
● determination of precious and nonferrous metals based on the basis of the given available technical documentation
Prepared all documents and permits required in the Republic of Belarus for the export of hazardous wastes containing polychlorinated biphenyls. Received permission for transboundary movements from Poland and Germany and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Republic of Belarus issued an export license.
Specialized company SAVA GmbH (Germany) was carried out works on packaging, transportation and disposal of 19 tones of PCBs and PCB-containing equipment waste from JSC ”Minsk Automobile Plant”.
GEF Small Grants Programme in Belarus
Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus
JSC ”Minsk Automobile Plant”
SAVA GmbH (Germany)